1. Gather the ingredients
There's quite a few ingredients for this one but it's worth it.
- 1.75 kg mixture of seafood, such as baby squid, prawn (shrimp), whitebait, firm white fish fillets, salmon fillets and scallops
- vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 190 g plain flour
- sea salt
- 3 olive oil
- 350 ml sparkling water
- 1 egg white
- lemon wedges, to serve
- A newspaper or bbq paper for decorative purposes
- 4 flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2. Make the salsa verde
Begin by mixing all the ingredients together for the salsa verde, season well and taste. Add a little more vinegar if need be or a little more oil to loosen. Set aside until needed. Use a blender to mix all ingredients together.
3. Prepare the seafood
Clean and trim tentacles from the squid, shell and de-vein the prawns leaving the tails on, remove roes from the scallops, and then cut everything (except the prawns) into similar sized pieces so they cook evenly. Place in a bowl and season well.
4. Heat the oil
Heat the oil until it measures 190°C on an oil thermometer. If you don’t have one of those, a cube of bread thrown in should turn golden brown in 20 seconds.
5. Making the dough
Meanwhile, sift the flour into a large bowl, add a big pinch of salt and whisk in the olive oil. Continue whisking and slowly add the sparkling water until well combined. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff peaks form, then gently fold into the batter.
6. Fry the fritto
Take handfuls of the seafood, coat lightly in the batter and fry in the hot oil in batches for 1–2 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm while you cook the rest.
7. Presentation matters
Sprinkle with salt and serve in mini newspaper cones with the salsa verde and lemon wedges on the side.