1. Prepare the Ingredients
- For the marinade2½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1½ tsp ground green cardamom
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper, more for later
- 3 lb beef tenderloin (fillet mingon), cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into pieces roughly the width of the meat
- 1-2 green bell peppers, cut into pieces roughly the width of the meat
- 1-2 red bell or orange bell peppers cut into pieces roughly the width of the meat
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Two lemons, juice of
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
2. Prepare 10-12 skewers
If using wood skewers, be sure to soak them in water for at least one hour before use. In a bowl, mix together the spices to make a spice rub for the cubed meat.
3. Mix the Spices
In a bowl, mix together the spices to make a spice rub for the cubed meat.
4. Season the Beef
Season the cubed meat with the spice rub, combine well so that the meat is evenly covered with the spice rub.
5. Combine the Marinade
In a large and deep dish, combine the marinade ingredients of red onions, lemon juice, olive oil and red wine.
6. Add Meat to Marinade
Add the spiced cubed meat to the marinade, and work the meat into the marinade well with your hands. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Remove the meat from the fridge one hour prior to grilling. Lightly oil a gas grill and heat for 10 minutes on high.
7. Skewer the Meat
Remove the meat from the marinade and begin to prepare the shish kabobs. Do not discard the marinade yet. Thread the meat, onions, green peppers and red peppers onto the prepared skewers, alternating until you run out of meat (about 4 pieces of meat per skewer with the vegetables nestled in between). Season with more freshly ground black pepper.
8. Lets Get Grilling
Place the shish kabobs on the heated grill. For medium kabobs, grill for a total of 8 minutes, turning once midway through. While grilling, paint the meat with some of the marinade a couple of times. Transfer to a serving platter and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
9. Make it Look Pretty
Garnish the kabobs with some cilantro and onions. Get creative. Bon Appétit
Recipe by Suzy from the Mediterranean Dish